Ways in which moving rates vary
Are you about to move house soon? Or are you thinking of doing so? Have you asked your friends and family to recommend a moving company that will assist you? We aren’t saying you shouldn’t trust them. If your neighbor paid for their Chicago area movers cheaply, that doesn’t mean you’ll move on a shoestring. There are ways in which moving rates vary according to numerous criteria. That’s why the price they paid when they moved and the amount of money you are going to spend on your relocation may differ to a great extent.
How moving quotes vary based on distance
The first thing you should know is that relocating to a place nearby is a completely different service to moving house far away. If you are moving locally, the price range will purely depend on the time spent. On average, they will charge you between $25 to $50 per hour for each mover. But hiring one of the long-distance movers Chicago can offer, we can see how moving rates differ. In that case, you will have to pay for the weight of your possessions and mileage. Long-distance services include more than 100 miles.
How moving rates differ based on estimate types
There are three main types of moving estimates. When you are negotiating with the movers, make sure you are informed about all the details. Most moving companies make use of the ways in which moving rates vary, and the rogue ones exaggerate by misusing them. Those three kinds are the following:
- Non-binding estimates — when movers give you a quote based on the weight of your belongings. However, when the moving day comes, the actual weight of your stuff might be higher. Therefore, you will have to pay more than expected. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), you have 30 days to pay for the remaining charges. In fact, the company isn’t bound to the estimated price.
- Binding estimates — when you pay exactly the amount that was offered during the estimation. Even though it sounds fine no to end up paying more, the trick lies in something else. If you decide to lower the weight and amount of furniture to be moved, you will still have to pay the estimated cost.
- Binding not-to-exceed estimates — which are basically similar to binding estimates. The point here is that you will get a rough estimated cost that shouldn’t be exceeded. But you don’t have to reach it. For example, if you have fewer items for relocation than during the estimation process, you will pay less.
Where to check which estimate the mover offers
A long-distance moving contract should clearly define which of the abovementioned estimates are applied. In order to avoid moving scams, a valid document must include:
- the name and address
- the tariff, cost, and details on ways in which moving rates vary
- the estimated weight of the belongings
- the mileage, transportation fees, and fuel expenses
- any additional service charges, such as packing, unpacking, and storage
- the details about insurance
- any discounts if they are given
Timing influences ways in which moving rates vary
Movers also calculate their prices based on when you want to relocate. Probably the most expensive time would be at rush hour on a Saturday at the end of July. Timing is a great example of how moving quotes vary. Take a look at the following tips which can help you relocate on the cheap:
- Don’t move at rush hour as the city is crowded and it is more difficult to pass.
- Try not moving on weekends as many people are off work and want to do the same.
- It’s more inexpensive to move in the middle of a month than at the beginning or end.
- The peak season from May to September is more expensive.
Gas prices are a significant factor
The expenses that moving companies have regarding the gas used are exorbitant. That’s why gas is an important factor that impacts on ways in which moving rates vary from case to case. How much gas they will spend on your move depends on the weight of your items and the mileage. The heavier your belongings are, the more fuel will be necessary. The farther the truck passes, the more gas it will spend.
So how can you save money? The answer hides in a good old custom called decluttering. You don’t have to move everything, do you? Some of the items won’t fit the new living space. Give away the things you don’t need. Or organize a garage or yard sale and earn some bucks. And finally, throw away all irreparable and damaged stuff. Why would you make your new apartment ugly with a ripped-off armchair or half-broken shelf?
Extra fees as ways how moving quotes vary
Be extra careful when accepting additional services that moving companies gladly offer. Those are normally extra charges to your agreed cost. These fees can be a decisive indicator of how moving rates differ even within the same moving agency. It is up to you to decide whether to accept extra services or not. Scam artists will use that opportunity to make you pay an arm and a leg for their assistance. Such services may include:
- packing and unpacking
- packing supplies, such as boxes, wrap, etc.
- dismantling and re-assembling the furniture
- moving large and specialty items
- wrapping the blankets
- long and stair carries
- shuttle service if there isn’t enough parking space for the truck
- storage service
- insurance of the belongings
Check before you confirm
Use your mind and don’t believe everything. Read the contract carefully and research anything you are unsure about. Know your rights and ask questions. There are a great many ways in which moving rates vary, but it is your duty to double-check. Only then will you secure the best service and high quality.