How to Keep your Home Safe While on Vacation
Vacation season is here! It’s important to make time to get away and clear your head, but what do you do with all your worldly belongings while you’re away?
Here is a few things to keep in mind to make sure your home stays a home while you’re traveling and you don’t come back to any nasty surprises:
1. Hold your mail. Contact the post office and inform them of the dates you’ll be gone and when you’ll be back. Arrange for your mail to be delivered upon your return or go pick it up yourself. Either way, an overflowing mailbox is the fastest way to identify an empty house. (The same goes for newspaper delivery).
2. Make sure you have a set of eyes. Let your closest neighbors know you’ll be gone so they can be on the lookout for suspicious activities. Even if nothing out of the ordinary is happening, they can at least pick up phone books and miscellaneous flyers off your porch so the house is maintained.
3. Maintain the illusion of people. Buy light timers so they go on and off throughout the day. See if your neighbor will take your trash out and put the cans back later. Make sure your house looks like it’s lived in, and thus occupied.
4. Lock up! It may seem obvious to lock your doors and your cars, but what about the upstairs bathroom window that’s always cracked? Have you activated the safety locks on your windows? Have you put bars into your sliding doors? These things are often overlooked, and often utilized by intruders.
5. Zip your lips! Are you a public figure? Do you have a blog? Don’t announce your travel dates if you aren’t close with everybody on your friends list. If your social media accounts are public or you have a following through another venue be careful about the information you spread!
Golan’s Chicago movers & moving company provides efficient moving and packing services! Please do not hesitate to call us at 800-439-8515 when you need such services.