Not only is moving stressful and complicated, but it can also be harmful if you’re not careful. Moving house involves packing, carrying heavy boxes and, in general, a lot of running around. That’s why it’s easy to get hurt in the process, especially if you have no experience. Moving injuries aren’t a rare occurrence. So, if you’re looking for ways of preventing moving injuries, you’re in the right place. We’ve made this useful guide that will help you avoid getting hurt during the moving process. Just follow these tips and you’ll remain safe.
Prevent moving injuries by packing properly
As packing is a big part of moving, you’re prone to get hurt in the process. Packing involves carrying a lot of stuff and being pretty active. Don’t worry, though, we’ll help you avoid moving injuries with a few simple packing tips other than hiring a Chicago moving company.
Pack sharp objects carefully
Whether you’re packing sharp objects for a storage unit Skokie or for moving, they can be hazardous. If you don’t know the right techniques for packing these items, you can end up cutting or hurting yourself. So, the most important thing while packing sharp things is being focused and careful. Other than that, we have a few other ways to prevent moving injuries while packing.
- Categorize your sharp objects before packing them. For example, pack all the butter knives together and all sharper ones in a separate box.
- Wrap each item carefully. The last thing you need is getting cut and bleeding all over the boxes. So, wrap every sharp object with caution. Use bubble pack, tape and packing paper. First, wrap everything in the packing paper or bubble pack. Then, secure the paper with tape and line the box with a bubble pack. You can even use towels or different cloths for wrapping sharp objects. This will both prevent moving injuries and protect your things from damages.
- Pick the right size box. Once everything is wrapped up, it’s not the end of your troubles. You need to find a box of the appropriate size for packing sharp objects. Don’t get a box that is too big because you don’t want your knives flying around the box during transportation.
Do not overpack
We’ve all done it. We don’t think ahead while packing and we end up putting way too many things in one box. Then, we’re unable to lift, let alone carry that box. Well, that’s exactly the kind of moving mistake that leads to getting injured while moving.
To prevent throwing your back out or dropping a heavy box on your feet, we have a simple hack – don’t overpack. Be especially mindful of this when packing books and similar heavy objects. Resist the urge to fill the box to the brim because you or your local movers Chicago will have to carry it.
How to properly lift boxes
Your back can suffer serious consequences if you’re not careful while doing all the heavy lifting. So, to avoid getting injured while moving, you should pay attention to the way you lift the boxes. If you’ve hired Chicago commercial movers, you probably don’t have to worry about this. However, you might still want to keep these tips in mind.
- Bend your knees, don’t bend at the waist.
- Keep your legs apart.
- While lifting the box, keep it close to your body.
- Don’t turn and twist your body while lifting the boxes.
- Lift with your legs and not your back.
- There’s no need to rush – pick up the box slowly to avoid any potential injuries.
- Don’t overdo it. It’s easy to overestimate yourself and try and lift more than you can. Try to avoid doing that and take it slow.
Pick an appropriate outfit to avoid moving injuries
It might sound silly, but choosing the right kind of clothes for moving day is actually quite important. The clothes we wear can lead to serious injuries if we don’t choose them wisely. So, to avoid getting injured because of your outfit choice here’s what you should and shouldn’t wear.
- Wear comfortable and practical clothes that allow you to move freely and that aren’t constricting.
- Go for flat shoes that are comfortable and that don’t hurt your feet. Uncomfortable shoes, high heels, and other inappropriate shoe choices are something you need to avoid on moving day if you want to prevent moving injuries. Be kind to your feet as you’ll be running around all day long.
- Choose clothes that are made out of good materials. For instance, go for cotton, viscose or other natural, breathable materials. Stay away from polyester and anything that will just make you sweat.
- Don’t wear a ton of accessories and jewelry. There’s no need to accessorize on moving day, just keep it simple. The last thing you need is losing anything valuable.
- Stay away from your new or expensive clothing. You don’t want to risk tearing and ripping anything.
Stay hydrated and eat well
The last thing we will warn you about is your moving day diet. Because this is quite a long and stressful day, you need to be energized and hydrated. So, keep a bottle of water handy all day long so that you don’t go thirsty at any point of the day. Also, you should have a big breakfast that will keep you going for a few hours. Try to avoid junk food and anything that’s unhealthy and that will only make you crash. You need food that will give your energy and strength to get through this day. So, keep this in mind if you want to prevent moving injuries and fainting.
Ready to take on the day?
Now that you know the simple and effective ways of preventing moving injuries, you’re ready to move house. Follow these tips and be careful while packing and moving. Your residential moving company Chicago might help you with the transportation of your belongings, but you should still take care of yourself.