Don’t sweat the small stuff
“Don’t sweat the small stuff” is a great saying to get you through life, but when it comes to getting yourself and your family through a move, the small stuff tends to be the most frustrating if forgotten.
Here are five tips to remember in the weeks leading up to your move so life doesn’t get too complicated once you’re settled into your new home.
- If anyone in your family has an ongoing prescription, call your doctor and ask for some copies in case you don’t have a new doctor picked out yet to make refills less of a pain.
- Fill out a change of address and a mail forwarding form with your Post Office in-person or online so your mail will be delivered seamlessly. (Sending out change of address cards to friends and family also saves a lot of hassle.)
- If you are packing up the house make it easier on yourself by color-coding boxes so unpacking will be a breeze. (Blue for kitchen, yellow for bathroom, etc.) If you have children let them choose their own colors and pack up their things so they feel involved in the process too!
- Be sure to pack irreplaceable things such as jewelry, wedding memorabilia or family documents like passports, social security card, and birth certificates to travel with—packing these into a box is just asking for disaster.
- Pack a bag with the following for the first night in your new home: toilet paper, snacks and drinks, clean clothes, first aid kit, a flashlight and cleaning products
If you keep these five tips in mind moving from one place to another, whether it’s down the street or on the other side of the country, alleviates some of the stress of relocation and saves some time and energy you can spend toward enjoying the adventure!
Also Golan’s movers in Chicago and Los Angeles are always at your assistance when you need to move to a new address. Call Chicago moving companies at 800-439-8515 or contact online by clicking here.