6 Easy Eco-Friendly Moving Tips
Green Tips from Top Moving Companies in Chicago
Between boxes, packing materials and household clutter, moving can create a lot of waste. However, with a little planning and preparation, it’s possible to reduce your carbon footprint when relocating. Going green is the trend today, that’s why some of the top moving companies in Chicago share their nature-friendly practices. Here are our six easiest eco-friendly moving tips:
• Recycle moving materials. Check with neighbors, local businesses or even Craigslist for used boxes or packing materials. Not only does this reuse these wasteful materials, but it saves you money!
• Hire a green moving company. Certain moving companies in Chicago (including Golan’s) are environmentally focused. Golan’s, for example, offers recycled boxes and moving materials, and they use fuel-efficient trucks.
• Use reusable boxes. Forget cardboard boxes and packing tape all together! Invest in reusable, plastic bins to eliminate waste. This may not be the most practical option for long-distance moves, but it can work very well for shorter, local moves.
• Reduce your belongings. With less personal belongings, you’ll have less to move which takes less fuel and resources. Plus, you can donate your discarded belongings to a local charity or sell them on Craigslist for a little extra cash.
• Dispose of non-recyclable properly. Several household items cannot be recycled, nor can these items be transported by a moving company. Dispose of unused paint, household cleaners, bleach, automotive fluids and other toxic material carefully. Contact your local waste management company for drop-off sites or if you have questions.
• Pay it forward. When you’re done with your move, recycle your boxes or give them to a friend in need!
Going green isn’t as hard as it seems. All it takes is a little inspiration, determination, and some friendly tips from some of the green moving companies in Chicago. Good luck in going green!