Moving is common. Lots of people move each year! But exactly how many people move, when do they move and why do they move? Here are some interesting facts about moving:
How often do people move?
- The average Americans move about 12 times in their lifetime.
How many people move each year?
- An estimated 43 million Americans relocate each year.
Why do people move?
- About 40% of all moves are due to work, 42% are personal moves and 18% are military or government relocations.
What about renters?
- 33% of renters move each year.
Who moves more?
- People in the Northeast part of the US move the least, while those in the West move the most.
What does a mover look like?
- The average mover is part of a couple between the ages of 25 and 44 with one or two kids between 2 and 11.
When do people move?
- Nearly half of all moves take place in the summer, between the beginning of May and Labor Day.
Sources: U.S. Census Bureau; American Moving and Storage Association; moving.com